Have you ever seen a crystal and just felt like it called to you? Or have you heard stories from your friends about the ways that crystals have helped them but been unsure what they mean or how to get started using them?
Here at Chiji, we believe that knowledge is power, so we’re here to provide you with a crystal guide for beginners, so that you can get started using these powerful tools safely and correctly.
What Are Crystals?
Let’s start at the very beginning. What exactly is a crystal?
On a technical level, crystals are simply a collection of matter that is formed in a three-dimensional lattice. Sound a little too technical? Many things in life are actually crystals, like table salt and sugar, but the crystals we’re going to specifically talk about today are much larger in size. They are also formed naturally out of two common elements that are also considered some of the most essential, silicon, and oxygen.
There are literally thousands of different crystals out there, some more rare than others. Crystals have been used for thousands of years, tracing all the way back to Mesopotamia over 6000 years ago, and have been seen in many of the most important ancient civilizations (the Egyptians, Greeks, Japanese, and Romans). They have to have been on to something, right? For crystal use to have persisted this long, there must be some truth to their benefits.
The Most Common Crystals For Beginners
Now that we have a better idea of what crystals are, let’s talk about some of the easiest crystals for beginners to use.
The hope is that you’ll see one on this list that you are immediately drawn to, so that you can learn how to use them with one that speaks to you.
- Amethyst - Amethyst is one of the most common beginner crystals because of its availability. It is found in a variety of shades of purple, and is also one of the most powerful crystals out there. But don’t be intimidated. While amethyst vibrates at a high frequency, it is used for protection, focus, and clearing your mind. If you’re looking to get into crystals, amethyst is a great place to start because it will keep you protected while you learn.
- Clear Quartz - Found all over the world, clear quartz is perfect for beginners because of its adaptability. While generally considered one of the most powerful stones for healing, it adjusts to the vibrational frequency of the person wielding it. It also can absorb, store, release, regulate and unblock energy, as well as being a strong cleansing stone.
- Rose Quartz - Rose quartz is the pink cousin of clear quartz. Many people know this stone as the “love’ stone, and it is found in many crystal stores all over the country. The best part about rose quartz is that it isn’t just amazing for the love you’re hoping to attract from others, it is also great at helping you to love yourself. This makes it an incredible stone for beginners, as well as being perfect for self care.
- Black Tourmaline - So many people are attracted to the pretty, pastel colored crystals that sometimes the darker ones get left out. However, especially for beginners, black tourmaline is a powerful stone that shouldn’t be forgotten about. It can not only help soak up electromagnetic radiation from computers and other technology, it also helps protect against any negative energy that may be dragging down your vibes.
- Fluorite - Fluorite is an amazing stone, and it comes in a variety of different colors like green, purple, and yellow. It’s great for psychic protection, and can help you center yourself especially during times that you need to learn something new. Also, much like black tourmaline, fluorite can help absorb harmful electromagnetic waves.
There are plenty of other crystals that are easily accessible for beginners, but starting with one of the above can give you a leg up and a place to start your crystal education.
Crystals and Chakras
We know the concept of chakras may be a lot to grasp, so we’re here to give you a really quick overview of how crystals and chakras are related. If you take anything away from this, it should be that each of our body’s seven chakras (or energy centers) has a specific crystal or crystal that is associated with it.
As you progress further into crystals and crystal healing, this information will help you be better able to focus on a specific area as you meditate.
- 1st chakra (the “root” chakra, located at the base of the spine) - This is the chakra of grounding and stability, so crystals that help with that correspond here - like black tourmaline, black obsidian, and smokey quartz.
- 2nd chakra (the “sacral” chakra, located just below the belly button) - This chakra represents sexuality, desire, and creativity. It corresponds to fluorite, carnelian, and orange calcite.
- 3rd chakra (the “solar plexus” chakra, located below the breast bone) - The 3rd chakra is the center of intellect and ambition, and is represented by citrine, golden tiger eye, and amber.
- 4th chakra (the “heart” chakra, located in the center of the chest) - The heart chakra is the seat of love, compassion, and emotional balance. The crystals that correspond are rose quartz, jade, and malachite.
- 5th chakra (the “throat” chakra, located above the collar bone) - The throat chakra is the center of communication and expressions. Crystals related to the throat chakra are celestite, amazonite, and aquamarine.
- 6th chakra (the “third eye” chakra, located in the center of the forehead) - Intuition and spiritual awareness are the qualities associated with the 6th chakra. The crystals that are related to this chakra are tanzanite, lapis lazuli, and azurite.
- 7th chakra (the “crown” chakra, located at the top of the head) - The final chakra, the crown chakra is associated with enlightenment and energy. Crystals that correspond with the 7th chakra are quartz, amethyst, and selenite.
The way to work with crystals in this context is to identify where your source of stress and negativity may be (for example, maybe you’ve been feeling really out of balance emotionally).
Find the stone that corresponds with the chakra responsible for those emotions, and carry it with you or press it against that area to help.
How To Use Crystals
Because crystals can be used in so many different ways, it can be hard for beginners to really know where to start. However, no matter how you choose to use them, it’s important that you start by cleansing them.
Cleansing your crystal gives you the ability to feel its energy from a neutral space. Because crystals are so good at absorbing and picking up the energy around them, they often come to you with at least a residue of others who may have touched them first.
Cleansing rituals can get fairly complicated so, for beginners, the easiest way to do this is by either briefly smudging them or by placing them outside under the full moon.
Now that your crystals are cleansed, it’s time for the fun part… using them!
One of our favorite ways to use crystals, and one that is easy for beginners, is by burning a crystal candle. Our Crystal Energy Candles® come in a variety of different styles, depending on what you’re hoping to use them for, but all you need to do is light the wick and enjoy their benefits! The fire also works to further cleanse and consecrate the crystals, so that they can be used right away when the candle is fully burned out. Use them in your meditation space, or light one as you take a self-care bath.
Meditating with crystals is another way for beginners to use them without pressure. Each one of our crystal candles comes with a large crystal at the bottom of the candle for you to be able to use for this purpose. All you need is a stone that you’re attracted to and a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed.
Sit in a comfortable position with the crystal you’ve chosen in your hand. Clear your mind by taking a few deep, cleansing breaths. Look at the crystal, noticing all of its physical attributes. What color is it? What patterns are on it? Now, close your eyes. Feel the crystal in your hand. What does it feel like physically? What energy do you get from it?
Spend as much time as you need this way, taking deep breaths, letting go of passing thoughts, and focusing on your crystal. By the end of your meditation session, you’ll not only feel calmer but also have a much better understanding of what the crystal you’ve chosen means to you.
Crystals are a very powerful tool in any good vibe toolbox. But that doesn’t mean that they have to be out of reach for beginners. We all have to start somewhere!
Hopefully you’ve found some inspiration in this article, and will go out and find a stone that really speaks to you.
Whether you’re using crystals to attract love, for self care, for protection, or just to create some more good vibes in your life, crystals have the ability to really help you transform your life. Best of luck!